July 26, 2016 by unclespike218
High maintenance? Owned. Take my coffee these days, for instance.
Years ago, naturopaths by the hundreds screamed bloody murder at people who would drink coffee because it was so horrific for the adrenals, it was too acidic, probably a surefire way to get cancer or something of the sort. And yeah, there’s probably something to it. But I’m paying a bit more attention to the studies that say it’s great for the liver, among other things. But that’s if you drink it black.
No basic black for me. I consider coffee a great way to shove goodness of various sorts down my throat. To wit:
- Brown sugar. If I’m gonna have sugar in my coffee (and hellz yeah I am), I might as well compromise a bit and have something with a modicum more nutrition than the white death. Besides, I like the bit of taste it offers. Not as strong as molasses (which I have used before), but it’s enough. Dose: a very generous pinch.
- Half and half. Because duh. Dose: maybe 1/8 cup?
- Coconut oil. Yeah, I do this. A few more calories, those medium branch chain fatty acids that seem to be great for heart health and all, plus a mild taste of Hawaiian Tropic…I love this stuff. Dose: 1 Tbsp.
- Sorghum. The newest addition. More sugar in a molasses-like syrup, admittedly, but also? I’m getting older and somewhere around 40, I began noticing more evidence that my T seemed to be fading a bit. So when I peek around the interwebs and find this article, my curiosity gets piqued. Then I check this article, which references this study…WAIT STOP HOLD THE PRESSES…This study WAS here. I swear. I have no idea why this link goes to a totally different study now. Goddamn powers that be. Anyhow, sorghum seems to be a good way to increase…well, DHT more than testosterone. But for full-head-of-hair folks like me who don’t seem to be affected by male pattern baldness, this doesn’t seem to be a big deal. Dose: 1 Tbsp.
- Boron. From before. Dose: 1 Tbsp of a pre-made liquid mixture that provides about 3-4 mg of boron.