June 25, 2016 by unclespike218
Background: I’m adopted. Mom and Dad couldn’t afford to keep me, since I was basically a prom night baby.
So years later, here I am, looking on 23andme, my results, and wondering what could happen if I tried to contact some of my family.
- Met someone over New Years who was kind of a medium. She felt that my mom had “passed over to the other side” not so recently. I feel like she’s right…I had a sense that my mom at some point went to the hospital for some acute and terminal issue that she succumbed to pretty quickly. I felt like she was wishing I could contact her some way; she really wanted to wish me well. Never happened. But who knows?
- Lots of my purported extended family, if I am to believe what 23andme reports and what FB corroborates, lives in the South. More specifically, Texas, though it looks like I may have family in other areas, like Arkansas, Florida, and Oklahoma.
- My closest relative is a middle-aged/older woman in Orlando, though she is originally from Shepherd, TX, which is a small, small town about an hour north of Houston. Pictures of Shepherd make it look like a good place to be from.
- She also looks to be very kind, if you can judge by appearances. Salt-of-the-earth, and she seems to be married, and they seem very happy together.
- A third-to-fourth cousin who lives in Jonesboro, AR, has a FB page that reveals a very sports-involved guy who looks very friendly…and very buff…and very handsome. I’d much rather share DNA with this guy than a namesake or two who seem to be the prototypical NRA-supporting, “the South will rise again” rednecks. And again, if appearances can be trusted, we do seem to look similar.
- Oops. Apparently he died of sudden cardiac death at the age of 22 in 2013. Damn.