November 4, 2014 by unclespike218
Things I do that deviate from middle America’s version of the bathroom routine…
(and from which I’m bound to deviate at some point as well) – without explanations as to why:
– Shampoo: borax dissolved in water. Sometimes followed up with apple cider vinegar to the scalp. In the past, the shampoo routine has been plain ol’ baking soda, plain ol’ ACV, plain ol’ vinegar, honey, Listerine, or Dr. Bronner’s with the ACV rinse. Oh, and any other sort of shampoo.
– Soap: same as above, only without apple cider vinegar. Crevices of various sorts cleaned with Dr. Bronner’s, diluted and foamified. And the occasional soap bar, too.
– Salt scrub: homemade, with castor oil. Usually only used on the face or the scalp, but seldom used in general
– Toothpaste: none. Homemade toothpowder, though. Latest version included turmeric, baking soda, stevia, orange and clove essential oils, and clay. Good stuff. Often in tandem with hydrogen peroxide.
– Deodorant: this stuff. Pretty awesome – but I stick to the unscented stuff. Occasionally rubbing alcohol. It can last for a few days.
– Morning drink #1: 1/4 teaspoon cayenne, 5 drops cayenne tincture (for added kick) and a few shakes of the celery seed shaker. All in about 1/4 cup juice of my choosing. All on an empty stomach, and chased with as little water as possible.
– Morning drink #2 (a half hour or more later): Coffee, with molasses or brown sugar. And sometimes coconut oil.
– Shaving cream: Kiss My Face, cool lime scent. My first, my favorite. I doubt I’ll ever change.
– Facial moisturizer: coconut oil.
– Beard moisturizer: coconut oil. Or, if I’m feeling fancy, my homemade beard balm: oils and beeswax, with clary sage (supposed to boost testosterone), peppermint, rosemary, and pine essential oils. Yum.
– Hair products: Some Mitchell pomade that my stylist sold me. Add a pump of aloe gel and a dab of honey.
– Zit zapper: First choice: apple cider vinegar. Second choice: Listerine.
All because I’m a DIY-ish 21st century guy, getting all Pinteresty and shit, and because I like control over my hair and skin care products, with as few unnatural incidentals in them as possible.